1. In the 18th and 19th century oysters were so cheap and plentiful that they were regarded as a poor mans food.
2. Oysters can change sex more than once during their life time.
3. There is a tiny crab (Pinnotheres ostreum) that lives harmoniously inside an oysters shell.
4. Oysters are one of the most nutritionally well balanced foods.
5. Building in ancient Pompeii were decorated with scallop shells.
6. While Oysters can release up to a million eggs in a season, normally only one of these eggs will live to be an adult.
7. It takes about two years for an Oyster to make a pearl big enough to be used as jewelry.
8. Pinctada maxima is the largest pearl bearing oyster and is roughly the size of a dinner plate.
9. Oyster and Scallop blood is usually colorless.
10. Scallops are the only bivalve with just one adductor muscle.