True or False:
1. Copulation can take place either on the surface or under water.
2. Turtles often return to the beaches they were born at to lay their eggs.
3. Most sea turtles are endangered.
4. Fertilization is external.
5. The neck and limbs of sea turtles are retractable.
6. Loggerhead's jaws are adapted for crushing and grinding, while the leatherback's jaws are delicate and used for eating soft bodied animals.
7. Sea turtles are found
a. in polar seas
b. in just the Mediterranean
c. only in the Gulf
d. in warm and temperate seas throughout the world
8. The lower section of the sea turtle's shell is called
9. Females nest as often as every
a. 2-3 years
b. every year
c. 5-6 years
d. once in their lifetime
Fill in the Blank:
10. Slowed metabolism allows sea turtles to ________ for long periods of time.
11. Jaws have modified ________ suited for particular diets.
12. Some sea turtles can nest up to ________ times per season.
13. There are about ________ species of sea turtles.
14. All sea turtles, except the leatherback, have hard scales called ________.
15. ________ minutes may elapse between heartbeats while a green sea turtle is under water.
7. d. in warm and temperate seas throughout the world
8. c. plastron
9. a. 2-3 years
10. stay submerged
13. 7 or 8