by Brent R.
We did this project to learn the change in momentum and impulse of the egg. All the cases have the same mass and the same height. Since the velocity is the same and the change in momentum is the same then the impulse will be the same. Because change in momentum equal impulse.
Δp = J
I have a small baseball case. I have bubble wrap wrapped all around it, inside and out. With athletic grip tape to secure it tight. I have many things that will make it not break. But it broke anyways. Mine broke because I have a small case. And the force is being directed into one area where the egg was because of how small the case is. Also I didn't have enough padding so the time of the impact was very small and therefore the force was great so it cracked the egg.
What I would of done to make the egg not break was to put more padding on it and make the egg case bigger. One of the main reasons that my egg broke was because of how small the case was and the padding. I think if the case was bigger it would not of broke. Also if I had more padding it would of protected it more.
There are many examples in real life. Examples:
1. Bumpers on cars. They have them so for collisions they have less the force because more the time.
2. Helmets. Helmets on everyone. For bicycle helmets for example if you fall
off your bike and hit your head it will increase the time and will therefore have less force.
3. Stuntmen. When they are jumping from building to building they will bend there knees
when they land to increase the time of impact so it will have less force of impact.
4. Skydivers. When they land from jumping out of the airplane they bend there knees
to increase the time of impact so it will have less force of impact.
5. Long Jump. When a guy is longjumping and lands they bend there knees to
raise the time of impact to decrease the force of impact.
6. Airbags. When a person gets into a car crash and the air bags go out it could potentially
save their life because it increase the time of impact so it decreases the force of impact.
7. Ice Skaters. When they do some kind of trick in the air they bend their knees
right before impact. This will increase the time so it will decrease the force.
8. Shoes. It will increase the time of impact between the foot and the ground. It will make
walking more comfortable.
9. Gymnasts. When they do tricks and routines they bend their knees right before landing to
increase the time of impact so it will decrease the force.
10. Boxing. If you get punched and you go with it then it will increase the time and decrease